Saturday, July 15, 2006

Update on my thyroid condition

July 15, 2006

I just wanted to let you know that I had a blood test done last Monday and then saw the doctor on Thursday. I am now hypothyroid. My TSH was 29 and normal high is 4.64. The doctor started me on a low dose (50 mcg) of Eltroxin. She didn't want to start me on anything higher yet because of my hyper tension. In about 6 weeks I'll go back to see her and she'll most likely double my dose at that time. The goal will be to help me get toward the lower end of the normal range (between 1-2 would be good). One good thing I know now is that the radiation worked and I won't have to repeat it.

I changed doctors recently because I didn't like where the first one was located. She also was more expensive and ordered unnecessary blood tests. I am very happy with the one I am seeing now, Dra. Lina Lantion-Ang. Her clinic is 1 1/2 miles from my house and there is always parking available (this is significant). Only problem is that her clinic is run by first come first serve basis on Thursday and Saturday mornings only. So I have to wait for about 2 hours whether I come early or late.

The last couple days have been especially hard. The medicine has not had time to build up in my system and I'm probably becoming more hypothyroid all the time. I feel very tired and want to sleep often. But I also have a hard time sleeping at night. My brain feels mushy and I'm overall sluggish and that is making it hard to work and concentrate.

It is also hard for me to accept assignments right now where anyone is depending on me for anything. I just don't know how I will be feeling from day to day. It frustrates me because I simply want to work and be effective. I don't want to slow Jeff down but he has been wonderfully helpful and patient with me. God is pouring out his grace on Jeff, that is for sure. I am fighting hard to not be ornery or moody. That can be hard at times but if I can at least have a sweet spirit in the midst of this, we will get through it with joy.

I've been working hard to finish my role in making a brochure which we have been needing done for a few years. I need to get it to the printer before I am no longer able to effectively work on it--which feels like right now. We've asked for the help of a company here so they are now doing the layout and will finish the project for us. They are doing a fantastic job and they are doing the design and layout and managing the printing at no charge to ACTION. (We only have to pay for the printing.) I just got their rough sample today and it is turning out great. We are really close to having it ready to print so please pray that I can get it off my desk completely in the next couple days.

Thank you for your prayers. I do have hope and see a light at the end of the tunnel. I pray that in the next few months I will reach a point of normalcy which I haven't really had for a couple years of this yo-yo experience. Pray for grace to get through these days which are probably the most difficult. Also pray that I will be fairly stable when it comes time to make our trip to Africa September 21 to October 7.

Looking to the Healer,

Mary Ann

-----------------------


May 13, 2006

Our transition to Manila went well. I went to see an endocrinologist this week and learned that I am still hyperthyroid. In about a month I need to get the blood tests done again to determine if I have become hypothyroid. Pray for this month that I will be able to manage the changes and get on the right dose of medicine when the time is right.

-----------------------------------------------

April 21, 2006

I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. This poor [woman] called, and the LORD heard [her]; he saved [her] out of all [her] troubles. Ps. 34:4-6

Dear Praying Friends,

Our hearts have been overflowing with gratitude for all the prayers that have been given on our behalf. We know that *prayer* does not heal. Prayer moves the Healer and it is God who heals in response to the prayers of His people. I wanted to send a final update on this special prayer request before Sunday so you can rejoice with us for what God has done.

After getting one final blood test last week and learning that there had been no change, I went ahead with the iodine radiation treatment for my hyperthyroid condition on Wednesday. I didn't know what to expect but I have been doing very well. There has only been some mild discomfort around my thyroid gland and a few flares of hyperthyroid stuff. This is what they told me would happen. So I am doing well. I will need to follow this up in Manila to eventually start medication for the opposite condition. I knew I was being prayed for because I had such peace and confidence that going through this treatment was the right thing to do.

Since Wednesday, I have had to keep my distance from people and I have to avoid children and unborn babies for a full week because they can be affected by my radiation. Because of this I had to make the decision not to go to church with Jeff this coming Sunday. Although I feel fine and I would love to go, I don't want to risk anyone else's health.

Another answer to prayer is that we were able to change our departure date giving us a few extra days. We are now scheduled to depart for Manila on May 4. This is perfect because we will have a couple more days to prepare and for me to heal a bit more before the flight.

Many things are coming together for Micah as well and she feels she is ready for our departure. She has been getting things organized for her summer and lining up roommates (possibly another MK from the Philippines but that is not yet confirmed). Thank you for praying for her too. By the way, Amos was with us last week too and we had a good time with him.

Radiating,

Mary Ann

-----------------------------------------------

April 18, 2006

I had a follow up appointment with Dr. Salama on Wednesday and Jeff came with me. The doctor said my hyperthyroid is probably Grave's disease. He said that his preference for treatment would be radiation and it would be safer for me. So I am scheduled to get the radiation (simply swallowing one pill) on Wednesday morning, April 19. I will get a large dose of radiation because my thyroid is functioning at 42%. So this answers our questions of what treatment, when and where to have it done.

I asked the doctor to order another series of thyroid blood tests on Wednesday so I can be sure about the diagnosis because a lot of people have been praying for me. He was happy to have me retested and said I can call the office on Friday to get the results. On Monday I learned that there was no improvement in the TSH (.01) or other results.

Please pray that I will handle the radiation without too much discomfort. Pray also for us to know if we should delay our return to Manila for a few days or weeks. The good thing that we learned is that we will not need new passports. If we delay, we will send them back to Manila and get the long-term visas stamped in them and get them returned. So it is good to know that that issue will not be a hindrance.

-------------------------

April 8, 2006

Jeff and I would very much appreciate your prayers regarding a hyperthyroid condition that I recently was diagnosed with. The questions of what treatment to get, when to get it and where (Minnesota or Manila) are a major factor of the decisions we will need to make soon. We need God's wisdom in every way.

This probably would not be such a critical situation except for two major factors. First, we are scheduled to return to the Philippines on May 1 (arriving the 2nd). We can delay our return but the Philippine visas in our passports expire on May 11. If we delay our return it can only be for a few days or else we'll have to get new passports and reapply for visas when we get back to the Philippines. The second major issue is that if I am treated with medication (rather than radiation or surgery), it would lower my bodies resistance to diseases and illnesses and at the sign of any sickness I would have to get a white blood cell count done. The medicine is taken long-term, meaning a couple years up to life and I would have to constantly be monitored by a doctor and blood tests. There is also the 1 in 200 risk of seriously damaging my immune system. Because we are missionaries in a polluted and "illness-laden" environment, this could compromise our service in Manila and would hinder my involvement in ministries outside the home.

In the past month I have had 2 series of thyroid blood tests, a thyroid scan and a thyroid ultrasound. The results of the blood tests show that I am hyperthyroid but the good news is that the scan and ultrasound came back normal. There are 3 treatments for hyperthyroid -- drugs, radiation or surgery. In my case because my thyroid looks normal, surgery is the least likely option. When I talked to the nurse yesterday to get the results of the ultrasound, I learned that the doctor had wanted me to begin a prescription of Tapazole but they must have had a mix up in their office because that prescription never got ordered for me. I told the nurse that I am really reluctant to take that medicine for the reasons I mentioned above. So I asked her to tell the doctor that I'd like to reconsider radiation treatment and that I need to make a decision soon as to what to do because of our departure date. The reason radiation was not his first option of treatment for me was because I got sick for about an hour after I took a very low dose of that iodine radiation for the thyroid scan. But the short term discomfort of radiation may be a better alternative than long term medicine that could make me vulnerable to many illnesses over the years.

In the meantime, it seems that some of the symptoms of hyperthyroid have been increasing. Especially annoying are times when it affects my emotions and I feel like I can't cope or handle a simple task before me. I also have heart palpitations, feel run-down and difficulty concentrating. The last few weeks of a furlough are always stressful and difficult so this is making it all especially hard for me right now.

I was fortunate to get my appointment with Dr. Salama moved up for April 12. I asked Jeff to come with me to that appointment so he can also hear what the doctor has to say. There are so many factors involved in this decision and I am trying to research and learn as much as I can so we can make a wise decision. So with that background, please pray for the following requests.

Specific prayer requests:

1. The right treatment plan, timing and location for treatment will become obvious.

2. The Lord will give Jeff, Micah and me an extra measure of grace as we wade through this uncertainty while I also have thyroid-related emotional ups and downs.

3. The Lord will prepare Micah for our departure. This may seem unrelated but it is my number one concern about the timing of our return so it weighs heavily on me.

Resting in Him,

Mary Ann

No comments: