Thursday, September 28, 2006

News from ACTION Zambia

Greetings from Lusaka. We had a great flight here and did not suffer from jet-lag at all. Fortunately I have had a lot of energy and that has been a real answer to prayer. It has been a great and meaningful experience to visit the Ripleys and the ACTION Zambia team here in Lusaka. I have been learning a lot and it will be hard to leave on Sunday. Today is the Zambia presidential election so pray for safety and peace in the aftermath of the election.

There are a lot of differences from this place compared to Manila and where I was in Niger. But when I was in church on Sunday and listened to the wonderful African singing with great joy, I couldn't hold back the tears. A flood of memories came to my mind. It is so good to worship the Lord with people from other races and cultures. Good practice for heaven, eh?

HIV/AIDS dominates so much of ministry and society here. They estimate maybe 1 in 5 or 6 people that we meet here are infected. I have met several, young and older. It is a sobering experience. One missionary told us how ironic it is that if we are in a room with an AIDS person, we want to protect ourselves. But the truth of the matter is that the AIDS person needs to be protected from us because they can't fight off any illnesses we may be carrying.

I will write more about our experiences later but here is a website to tell you something of what we've been up to. Thank you for your prayers.

http://ripleysinzambia.blogspot.com/

No comments: