I was organizing my music in iTunes today and saw that I have several versions of "Away In A Manger". That brought back a memory of Christmas here in the Philippines. What I love about Christmas here is that the nativity scene can be displayed anywhere -- even on government property. In the front of the Meralco power company, every year they put a huge nativity scene. Joseph and Mary are probably 3 stories high. At the Greenhills Shopping Mall they used to display a very large room with a diarama of the Bethlehem and at the center was the Nativity scene. In the distance you could see the sheep grazing, the wisemen on their way, even on a side panel the murder of young children is portrayed. It was beautiful and a highlight to take the kids there every year. There was no entrance fee. In the midst of large crowds at the stores and malls we often hear Christian Christmas music.
Well, I think because of this, Micah got to be quite used to the Nativity scene all over the city. One day as we were driving somewhere when she was about 5 years old she burst out "Look mom, there's the Way in a manger." What a profound truth coming from the mouth of a babe. The Way came to be born in a stable and placed in a manger so people like me can behold God. Now my own personal version of this famous Christmas song and I always sing it that way "The Way in a Manger."
No comments:
Post a Comment