It is hard for a woman to give up her home because of her strong, God-given nesting instinct. I believe one of the major reasons that some women are not willing to become missionaries is that they don't want to leave home.
In the midst of that difficult year of being without our own home, my dad shared Acts 17:24-28 with me that God determines the time and place where we would live so that we would seek Him. That really stuck with me. At one home where we visited in Montana, my friend put on a tape of the Gaithers. The song "Jesus, I Heard You Had a Big House" really spoke to me. Even though we were "homeless" that year, we never slept on the street like those whom we were going to minister to.
After living in the Philippines for 21 years now, I cannot say it is my "home". It isn't. At times I am acutely aware that I am an alien. In fact, I have an "Alien Certificate of Registration" to prove it
We just learned a couple days ago that our daughter has to serve another deployment to Iraq in 2008 with her unit. When she first went to the Middle East, she told me on the phone that there was something strangely familiar about being on the base where she was living. She realized it is because she is an American citizen, living in an American facility in a foreign land. She felt more at home in her deployment than she does at college in Minnesota. That seems strange. It is not easy for her to not feel like she has a home. Her parents are in the Philippines but that is no longer her home. She lives in Minnesota but that is unfamiliar territory to her.
The principle is the same for Micah as Amos in California and for Jeff and me. It is also the same for the street children, squatters and refugees that we minister to. God has determined when and where we will live. "From one man He has made every nation of men to live all over the earth and has determined their appointed times and the boundaries of where they live, so that they might seek God, and perhaps they might reach out and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us. For in Him we live and move and exist,..." (Acts 17:26-28). And might I add, in Him, we are home.
2 comments:
MaryAnn,
Your sharing encourage me. This week, you are the second lady whom I hear sharing about leaving her home to the mission filed with her husband. My husband asks if I am willing to leave home and go with him to the mission flied when the time comes. I will remember your sharing when the time comes for me to leave home. By the way, I leave in very comfortable and hightly efficient Singapore.
Blessings,
Jenny Voo
Hi Jenny,
Thanks for your comments. I was on a trip to the UK for a conference this past week so I couldn't respond until now. God sustains us when we obey Him. The reality is that if we don't go where He leads, our current comfortable situation changes to be unsettling and sour. But when we obey, God fills our every need. Blessings to you and your husband as you seek God and His direction. I've been to Singapore and really enjoyed it there. --Mary Ann
Post a Comment