Wednesday, January 02, 2019

My word for 2019 is PERSEVERE

PERSEVERE- to persist in anything undertaken; maintain a purpose in spite of difficulty, obstacles, or discouragement; continue steadfastly; to sustain or uphold. 

Psalms 51:10-12 (NIV 1984) 10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast (right) spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

We spent the last week with both our kids, their spouses and all 4 grandkids. Usually we are thousands of miles apart at Christmas. The last 2 years my husband and I celebrated away from family in the Philippines. This year we are on furlough so we had our first ever Christmas with our kids and grandkids. This Christmas was noisier and full of joy and commotion. When we left and flew over the city, my heart was full of gratitude for our precious family down below. I thought "my precious loved ones are down there." I felt the Lord's reassurance that He will take care of them. I felt the Lord say to me, "I see you too. I know where you are. I have not forgotten you." He assured me that He sees us and knows the plans He has for us in 2019 and He will accomplish it. I was blessed to have a seat by myself (my husband was upgraded to first class) so I could listen to my favorite playlist and listen to what the Lord was saying to me. I wept most of the way home. During the flight the Lord made it clear to me that after this furlough we are to return to the Philippines. This is hard for me -- not because I don't want to go back but because of my longing to be near my family. Just when I thought my tears were done, we landed in Minneapolis. The Lord spoke to me again and assured me that He will care for my elderly parents too. In 2018 my word for the year was Ready. I thought my word for 2019 would be WAIT because I didn't know what was ahead for us. Now I know the word I will focus on for 2019 is PERSEVERE. Although we have a brief reprieve near our family now, we are still in the battle and there is much work for us to do.

I looked the word up on my phone dictionary and it says "to persist in a state, enterprise, or undertaking in spite of counterinfluences, opposition, or discouragement." The example given for using the word in a sentence was "Even though he was tired, he persevered and finished the race."

Until the Lord returns or I meet Him face to face, I am to persevere in… 
  • my efforts to lose weight
  • exercise
  • my calling as a missionary to the Philippines and globally
  • my Bible reading

No comments: