Friday, December 28, 2007

The Fun of Camp

The past couple days we had a short retreat at Rizal Re-Creation Center. It is always fun for us to go there and relax and be in the midst of a camping ministry. I was reminded of going to camp as a kid growing up. In my youth when we lived in Wisconsin, I went to Camp Chetek. I will never forget the missionary hour at that camp. For about 1 hour every day, a missionary who worked in Japan talked to us kids. He showed us maps and items from that country and his children sang songs for us in Japanese. It all made a huge impression on me and it may be that it was at that camp that I began to hear God's calling on my life to be a missionary. I long to see churches today keep the missions vision before their children. It is at a very young age when God may call children to begin in the direction of missions. I seemed to know I was called for the next several years because I looked for more opportunities to hear missionaries or nationals from other countries share with me about their far and foreign land and how they bring the Gospel to the people.

No comments: