Monday, July 07, 2014
Finishing APC Responsibilities
Today I concluded a three-year term serving on the ACTION Philippine Council. My term had many twists and turns that I did not anticipate. I was nominated to the position by my husband who held that role for roughly 20 years. His term was extra long because when he was Field Director his term did not have the 3-year limit. After our last furlough (2011) he wanted me to have the opportunity to serve. I replace Paul Ellis on the APC when he concluded his three year term and his daughter Pami is now replacing me. How cool is that?!? I thought serving on the APC would be a good chance to use my strategy and troubleshooting talents but there is so much more involved in leadership than I realized. Now, at the conclusion of my term, I admit that I did not know what I was getting into and it was an incredible learning experience. My challenge to the APC today is that they use that venue to work purposefully and intentionally to develop leadership skills among the APC members. They will be going through an excellent book "Leading from the Sandbox" by T. J. Addington. One thing the book talks about is how to have good "robust dialogue." That has been a challenge at times since my "troubleshooting" attempts at times led to being misunderstood and criticized by some. I guess that is part of leadership. You can't always tell people all that goes into a decision so they don't always understand. But for the most part, I think I was able to be helpful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment