Monday, July 07, 2014

Rest, Know God, Take action

Our mission has the motto "Know God, Take Action." As many of us will admit, we love taking action but knowing God takes much purposeful and thoughtful work. I recently read two devotions on the Precept website about resting, especially from Psalm 46:10. "Be still and know that I am God." 

   Be still (cease striving)
        Rest, relax, chill out, stop fighting, drop your weapons
   Know that I am God
        Learn that I am God, or "see that I am God", "Get to know me better"

The blogs go on to say that resting is a matter of trusting that God will continue to work, even when we rest. The Israelites began their day in the evening. They rested before they worked. That was a new idea to me. I thought that we rested because we worked. I have frantically been trying to get caught up with my "to do" list so I can rest. Maybe I have it backwards. Maybe my personal motto should be "Be still, know God, take action." Or "cease striving, know God, take action." 

No comments: